Thursday, February 19, 2009

Getting there...

Ok, beware this post is FULL of pictures! I have been trying to be better about my food storage and getting prepared! I have always felt like I was good about trying to get my food storage stocked but I didn't realize how much food I honestly had! This past week I saved a lot of money at Smiths and I was able to stock up on a lot of good food...
This is the freezer in our garage that is basically full of meat, butter, whipping cream, cream cheese, and frozen juices (some are on the door so you can't see them). I bought 1/4 cow from my Uncle Mike (actually my mom ended up paying for it) last year and we have used so much meat. I haven't bought hamburger, steaks, stew meat, or roasts for almost a year now!
I know It looks lame but this Shelf Reliance shelf is actually in my master walk in closet! I don't have tons of extra room in our new house so I have had to deal with the space I have! This shelf contains #10 cans of rice, red wheat, white wheat, pinto beans, black beans, oats, macaroni, and dry milk. My mom gave me most of this for Christmas a few years ago but I bought some a few weeks ago when our ward went to the cannery! It's almost completely full!
This is a close up shot of most of my Campbell's soups (cream of chicken, mushroom, broccoli, and tomato soup). It is also the shelf where I store all my canned vegetables (corn, beans, garbonzo beans, kidney beans, black beans, green beans, and tomatoes). I also have canned chicken on this shelf from Costco! I didn't realize how much food I had until I unloaded boxes out of our garage today! Lins is having their case lot sale next week and I plan on buying enough to fill my other Shelf Reliance shelf!
More of our pantry: Hamburger Helper (my husband's favorite), baking goods, cakes, cookie mixes, pasta, etc.
Other side of my pantry: Cans (as shown before) Cereals, pasta sauce (I usually make my own sauce but occasionally we use this if we are in a hurry), marinades, salad dressings, BBQ sauce, jams, ziplox bags, tin foil, and plastic wrap!
Colby captured these wonderful pictures of Trevin trying to help mom! I just woke up from my night shift! He thought it was fun to sit in the box and hand the cans to me! Oh I love him!

This is a cabinet in my kitchen that stores some extra stuff! I have been using coupons to stock up on medicine! I also got a slammin' deal on common spices that I use! *Cara I still have your recipe books and I will get them back to you!*
Close up on some of the spices I got!
Close up on my sauces!
I also started to stock up on laundry detergent, bleach, dryer sheets, shout, and also WATER! I didn't post a picture of my water but I honestly completely forgot that water is an essential item in your food storage! I wouldn't be able to do anything, make anything, or survive without it! What was I thinking? I am going to do better about stocking up on my water!

On the opposite side of this shelf I have our sleeping bags, air matress, flashlights, extra batteries, etc. so they are available in a hurry if we ever have to leave!

Goal this next week: My 72 Hour Kits, Baby items, and Water!

OH YA...Did I mention I still have four boxes of canned food and two bags of sugar in my laundry room still! CRAZY!

1 comment:

hkjhjhk said...

I am so proud of you! You are good inspiration for me to get me rear in gear on the whole food storage stuff! I'm good at eating it, but not so good at storing it, j/k. I don't know about Lins, but Maceys will sell those big 55 gallon drums for water storage during their case lot sale. Maybe look in to a couple of those??? By the way, take your time on the recipes, I still don't have a stove in my kitchen so its frozen burritos for Jay and me! hahaha