Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Worst Night Ever

So this morning at around 4:00 a.m. I look down at my left hand only to find that my wedding ring is not on my finger. Immediately I freak out and think to myself, "Did I wear my ring to work tonight?" Of course I had worn my ring to work. Being a nurse in an ICU you can only imagine how many times I washed my hands, how many bed linens I changed, what other patients rooms (besides my own) I went into, and where in the world I could have lost it! It could be anywhere I thought to myself.

I called Colby, yes I woke him up at 4:00 a.m. only to hear the sad news that indeed my ring was not in my jewelry box. I started to cry!

In the next four hours, with tears streaming down my face, we gathered together every single bag of trash and we searched with our hands through each one! No luck. Not only did we search through once, but we searched through each bag three times and also xrayed each one with a C-Arm. Again, No luck!

We looked through laundry, changed each patients bed linens, and looked in EVERY single room (even if I had not remembered being in there). Again, No luck!

I am completely in shock and extremely sad that such a thing would ever happen to me! I am not sure if it fell off my finger and someone picked it up without saying a word. I would hope that nobody would EVER just take something so precious, but in the world we live in, everyone could use a little extra cash. I have been praying to try and get those thoughts from my head. I know it's wrong for me to think that way and something that should never cross my mind. Colby and I are going to the temple tonight, maybe the Lord can help ease some of my anger and sadness.

Word to the wise: Don't wear your wedding ring to work, even if you want to so badly. I knew I would feel lost without it on my finger while at work, but now, I am completely lost without it!

I know it's just a worldly item, but it means so much more than that! It is a symbol of love and a token of the happiest day of my life! Something that I can never get back!

***UPDATE***
Colby and I went to the temple with Braydon and Melissa tonight. I was an emotional wreck the entire time, but I couldn't help it. I thought about Colby and what a wonderful husband he is. I realized that my life is good. I realized that I don't need all the material things in the world to make it wonderful. I had come to grips with the fact that I probably would never see my own ring again.

And then...the call came. After we got home from the temple, Kevin (a tech at work) left me two messages on my phone telling me he had found my ring! I was in shock! I almost didn't believe it! I went right over to work and picked it up. It didn't seem real until I actually placed the ring on my finger. I cannot explain how excited I was!

I guess this is a wake up call. Colby and I have not been to the temple in a long time. We had plans to go each month and then things just fell through. Maybe tonight the Lord was trying to tell me something. Maybe we need to attend the temple more often (I know we do). Maybe I need to realize that life is about family, love, the gospel, and cherishing moments together as a family. The material things don't matter.

This trial (as I like to refer it as) was a lesson I needed to learn. Going to the temple tonight was so wonderful. I need to be better. Colby needs to be better. We need to be better. We are working on it....

6 comments:

The Robison's said...

OHHH my heck Nat! I am so sorry! that is a terrible feeling when you lose your wedding ring! Jayden did that to me and i call jaren crying and i couldn't find it anywhere, i had it on my dresser, and i just new jayden had took it and thought that he probley ate it. But I just kept praying and then all the sudden something came to my mind, and i remember jayden playing in the vent and i went over and looked in it and there was my ring setting down in the vent. ohhhh i was so relieved! So i know how you felt, expecially when it something that precious! i am so glad you found it your blog made me nervous. i had to keep reading to make sure you found it. lol I am glad you found it!

Stefanie D. said...

That is the most awful feeling!! I once lost my wedding ring at the gym. I took it off, because sometimes my fingers swell when I work-out, and I put it in my locker. When I came back I forgot it was in there and just threw all of my stuff together, and walked out the door. I didn't realize until I was like 5 miles away and looked at my finger! Luckily, when I went back, it was just sitting in the bottom of the locker I had just used!! I was so relieved!

Ashley said...

I'm so glad you got it back Nat!
We're trying too to get to the temple more. It is a great blessing!

matesen said...

I am so happy you found your ring! My cousin lost hers about a year ago and has never found it! On an unrelated note- I am so excited to see you this weekend! I have missed you and I can't wait for you to meet my Jackson!

Anonymous said...

So glad you found it! I have always thought that would be a terrible thing to lose. I love you way you said, "it is something that could of never be replaced because its resembles the best day of your life". I'm glad there was a happy ending to your story. I have lost many things and it is the worst feeling. I'm glad you guys were able to go to the temple! We were able to go just recently in Az and I hadn't been for almost two months.Ry and I decided we couldn't afford to miss another month. Theres just such great blessings that come from attending the temple!!

Vanes said...

Sooooo glad that you found it Nat! I felt awful! :) I've missed you the last couple nights - can't wait to see you!