Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Big Reveal

This is my cabinet Colby made me when it's open. Would you ever believe that all this food is behind such a beautiful piece of furniture made by my husband? I can't even begin to explain how much this cabinet means to me and how much I love it. I am trying to do the right thing by getting my food storage. Telling myself "I just don't have room for it" wasn't good enough for me. We have been so blessed to have jobs, to have enough money to provide for ourselves, and to be able to say that we did all of this on our own! I have been talking with some people from work and we have decided that the Prophet doesn't ask us to get our food storage because of an emergency like a tornado, fire, etc. but because maybe someday Colby will loose his job, or myself, and we will not be able to have enough money to get through financially. I have decided that I am going to be prepared even if I don't think I will loose my job and even if I know we are financially stable at this time of our life.
I am willing to give up a little money to be prepared and it feels good. It feels really good! I was loading this cabinet today and I realized I honestly have so much canned food (more than enough) and now I need to work on looking at my regular recipes and making sure I have enough of all the "little ingredients" I probably have overlooked. If you read the Ensign it talks about getting a three month supply of food that you would normally eat...and then gathering more food that are staple foods after that.
This is the complete view of the inside. You can see I almost have the whole thing full and my pantry is still almost completely stocked (pictures in an older post). I don't say all this to try and get you to praise me for trying to get my food storage, but to give other people hope! Even if you don't feel like you have enough money financially or enough storage space, there are ways around finding the space to put everything, and you can start by getting one or two extra cans a week and building from there if money is an issue. Trust me, when I first started, it was hard to balance money and space. I feel like I have been extremely blessed already and hopefully by following the counsel of the Prophet more blessings will come to our family.

4 comments:

Colby & Brenda said...

it's looking great.. quite a task to put together so much food in an organized fashion... the backpacks will be here tonight- i'll get them to you soon...

matesen said...

Love it! Colby is so talented! When I get a bigger house someday I am definitely going to hire him to make me some amazing furniture!

Lindsey Stewart said...

Oh my gosh!!!!! I love the cabinet. It is so cute. Can Colby teach Ed how to make stuff? You are so lucky Nat. Man I am jealous. :(

Braydon Nielsen said...

Natalie, the cabniet looks awesome, I am so proud of both you and colby. you guys rock... The french toast is pretty cool as well. Love the new look to your blog..